Corporate Anniversaries 2014: Sea Life Park
In 1964, an enterprising young couple, Tap Pryor, with his wife Karen, decided to build an oceanarium in Hawaii to support research he was conducting for his graduate degree at the University of Hawaii. The facility was a combination of a public oceanarium, designed by biologists and an adjoining research facility. Today that research facility is the Oceanic Institute and the public attraction next door is Sea Life Park, the Number One paid attraction on Oahu today, according to the popular Trip Advisor.
Sea Life Park offers displays and performances featuring animals that live in and around the sea, delighting visitors and local residents alike. Its family of dolphins, sea lions, penguins, turtles, reef fish, rays and, most recently, sharks provides endless amazement and education for thousands of guests each year.
The Park’s commitment to its resident native Hawaiian species is notable. One of the three monk seals in captivity in Hawaii today resides at Sea Life Park. A recent partnership with the Monk Seal Foundation will result in more educational about this highly endangered animal. The Park’s breeding green sea turtles have resulted in the release of over 13,000 hatchlings into the ocean. And its seabird rescue program is the only place on Oahu where native seabirds may be turned in for rehabilitation and release. Hundreds of Hawaii’s precious shearwaters have been saved here.
Today, Sea Life Park is undergoing a re-invention with major infrastructure improvements, new exhibits like the shark tank and habitat enhancements such as are occurring in the monk seal exhibit. Oahu’s most popular luau, according to Trip Advisor, now makes its home in the Park. With $3.5 million invested in such improvements over the past three and a half years, the Park continues to improve and grow, looking forward to the next 50 years.
Corporate Programs Available
- Company retreat, party and picnic packages inclusive of pavilion, tables, chairs, sound system, food & entertainment
- “Presidential” behind-the-scenes tours, exclusive photos ops, private marine animal shows, and dolphin interactive experiences
- On-site chef and staffing for full food service & full beverage service with beer, wine & liquor
- Bounce house, horseshoes, volleyball, cotton candy, ice cream, shave ice and popcorn available
- Multiple venues within the Park to choose from, something for a group of any size!
Do you like what you read? Subscribe to Hawaii Business Magazine »