Negotiate Your Way to a Better Job
(and a better life)
(page 4 of 4)
Tips to Negotiating the Life You Want
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want.
- Before asking, know exactly what you want. Prepare fallback options that are acceptable to you if your first choice doesn’t fly.
- Understand your negotiating counterpart — know the company’s needs and how what you want could also help the company. That is, find a win-win scenario.
- Listen for the interests that lie behind the other person’s positions.
- Don’t ask for too much or something impossible.
- Understand what “no” means — it could be “no” for now. Ask if you can come back with another proposal.
- Find zones of agreement where deals can be struck.
- Don’t burn bridges; you could be negotiating with the same person in the future, so avoid confrontation.
- Be patient, listen, and be aware what messages your body language and tone of voice are sending.
- Start with talk story before launching into negotiations, to learn about the other person.
- Utilize female skills of communication, empathy and understanding to your advantage.
- Consider trade-offs, especially when negotiating with your spouse or significant other, so you both can achieve something you want.
- Avoid selfish “I want” statements. Phrase statements so you get buy-in from others and they become invested in your success.
Do you like what you read? Subscribe to Hawaii Business Magazine »