Our Favorite Things – Part 2
The people at Hawaii Business work hard, but we also have full lives outside the office. Here are some things we enjoy in our spare time.
DANIEL IKAIKA ITO, DIGITAL MEDIA DIRECTOR
Before I got married, my main indulgences were surfboards and shoes. My wife is an accountant and now “my CFO,” and approves all my expenses. Left to right:
• Kalaponzer surfboard shaped by Matty Raynor (gift from my wife).
• I use Da Fin for everything from bodysurfing to spear fishing.
• Wore this Sig Zane Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai tie on my wedding day.
• “Another Roadside Attraction,” by my favorite author, Tom Robbins.
• Madden NFL 17 on PS4; I get the new version every year.
LAVONNE LEONG, SENIOR WRITER
Let’s mix it up and go right to left:
• Digital photos are great, but you can’t beat a real album for
sharing family pictures.
• My mezzaluna chopping board and knife, which I would save from a fire. After my kids, of course.
• Perler beads: My daughter actually freestyled a steaming coffee mug from these beads, with #1 on the front. I think I drink too much coffee.
• Russian nesting dolls are usually apple-cheeked young ladies. Sets of Soviet leaders after the fall of the Soviet Union. I like the fact that Stalin and Lenin are very, very small.
• All Terrain brand Kids Herbal Armor bug spray.
NICOLE TAM, EDITORIAL INTERN
My favorites come from all over the world (center right):
• I love Starbucks, but this cup is a replacement for my first love: Tim Horton’s vanilla latte, which I first tasted in Vancouver.
• My life is filled with replacements: This mock Blackberry has the keyboard I love and allowed me to show off how fast I text in the days before the iPhone.
LILIAN CHENG, ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR
From right to left:
• Kuru-toga mechanical pencils’ rotating mechanism keeps my writing legible by continuously providing a sharp point.
• The pink Hong Kong International Poster Triennial Book is pricey and heavy, but I had to buy it because I loved the exhibition so much.
• One of my favorite childhood games, this wooden Connect Four set folds nicely for storage.
• These umbrella-shaped tea infusers are perfect for brewing tea while I read on a rainy day.
• I won these New Yorker postcards years ago, but I love the designs so much I haven’t used a single one.
• I had a J-pop obsession in high school. Ayumi Hamasaki is still
BOBBY SENAHA, PUBLISHER
I am a sports fan who bleeds USC cardinal and gold, loves to travel and enjoys the beach. But my absolute favorite is to do those things with my family; we have already traveled 50,000-plus air miles since James was born. Wherever we go, my wife insists on bringing BeautyCounter sunscreen (white/yellow tube at center left). Nontoxic and safe for reefs, too!
DAVID SUR, ASSOCIATE ADVERTISING DIRECTOR
I’m one of the few Minnesota Vikings fans in Hawaii, but I have plenty of company as a local L.A. Lakers
fanatic. My favorite female singer is Pink, best enjoyed while playing poker and sipping either a Heineken or Bloody Mary. (Not shown) On TV I love HBO’s “Ballers” and for a buffet dinner, nothing beats Camellia on McCully Street.