Reliable data collection on a big scale takes time. The most recent statistics available for this report are primarily from 2014, sometimes earlier or from 2015.
Our information came from many sources; here are abbreviations and acronyms we use when listing sources:
- U.S. Census: Census;
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: BLS;
- State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism: DBEDT;
- Hawaii Tourism Authority: HTA;
- The nonprofit Pew Research Center: Pew;
- U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Manpower Data Center: DoD;
- Governing.com: Gov;
- Office of Hawaiian Affairs Data Book: OHA;
- United Nations World Tourism Organization: UNWTO;
- Hawaii Injury Prevention Plan 2012-17: Prevent;
- University of Hawaii: UH;
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC
Sometimes, one agency will compile or extrapolate data based on information supplied by another agency, such as when DBEDT provides Hawaii-specific data based on Census numbers.
When possible, we provide shortcut links to the source material so you can dive deeper into the numbers.
Snapshot: A Day in Paradise
Hawaii’s Ethnic Groups
What We Do: Occupations and Health
Military and Visitors