5 Basic Tips for a Successful Virtual Job Interview
If you’re on the search for a new position or making a career shift, prepare to interview virtually. Alliance Personnel has helpful tips to make interviewing online a success.
Are you in the job market? If you’re on the search for a new position or making a career shift, prepare to interview virtually. Just like meeting in person, you’re making a first impression, and Alliance Personnel has helpful tips to make interviewing online a success.
- Check your wifi connection and ensure that it’s reliable. Work in that space for at least an hour. As a backup, practice using your phone as a hotspot.
- Map out a space for optimal sound. A bedroom might make more sense than the living room, if other family members or pets are nearby. Select an area where you won’t be interrupted for the duration of the interview and can focus your attention fully.
- Review the platform that the interview will be held on. Is it Web-based or do you need to download an app and create an account? Familiarize yourself with the platform ahead of time by conducting a test call with a friend.
- Dress appropriately and professionally, as if you were meeting in person. While many people now work from home, it’s not acceptable to interview wearing pajamas.
- Plan out your background. With Zoom, you can blur the background or use a custom design. But not every video conferencing platform allows for this. Set up a distraction-free background that will allow the interview to focus on you.
With your technology and space set up, you’re ready to make a positive first impression. Take time to think over your responses to common interview questions and gather your thoughts. Show how you appreciate the interviewer’s time by being punctual and prepared. Speak clearly and with confidence. Good luck!
1136 Union Mall, Suite 702
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-521-4300 | http://www.aphawaii.com/