Hawaii Business Magazine is delighted to announce Micah Kāne, chief executive officer and president of Hawai‘i Community Foundation, as the 2020 CEO of the Year.
Micah has been a leader and a force in our community for decades. In addition to a successful private sector career, he was the chair of the Department of Hawaiian Homelands and has served on numerous private and nonprofit boards, including Kamehameha Schools. Micah is a graduate of Kamehameha Schools and Menlo College and he received his MBA from the University of Hawai‘i.
A profile of Micah by Hawaii Business Magazine Senior Writer Beverly Creamer appears in our December issue and at hawaiibusiness.com. In the report, he says the CEO of the Year honor should actually be given to the entire HCF team. “There’s nothing more important to me about this recognition than my team truly understanding that they own this – 110% of it.”
Editor Steve Petranik says Micah would be a worthy choice as CEO of the Year in any recent year. “But in the year of the pandemic, Hawaii Business Magazine felt it was especially important to recognize him and HCF’s important work that supports hundreds of thousands of local people battered by the pandemic and shutdowns. Indirectly, honoring Kāne and HCF is a way to honor the work of all local nonprofits.”
The Event Program
- Presentation and remarks by the 2019 CEO of the Year, Bettina Mehnert, CEO, ahl.
- Talk story between the 2020 CEO of the Year, Micah Kāne and Hawaii Business Magazine editor, Steve Petranik.
- Panel discussion on how business and nonprofit leaders can help guide Hawai‘i to a better future.
- Micah Kāne, CEO & President, Hawai‘i Community Foundation
- Leslie Wilcox, CEO, PBS Hawai’i
- John Leong, CEO, Kupu and Pono Pacific
- Ray Vara, CEO & President, Hawai‘i Pacific Health
- Dr. Lynn Babington, President, Chaminade University
- Moderator: Steve Petranik, Editor, Hawaii Business Magazine