HoMA’s Joyful Return
With vaccinations in full swing and hope for a safe return to shared experiences on the horizon, the Honolulu Museum of Art presents a museum-wide spring exhibition titled Joyful Return, opening April 17.
Joyful Return consists of six outdoor pop-up installations and one in-gallery installation across the museum, each a mix of unexpected, interactive and evolving elements brought to life by the community.
“Our first exhibition of 2021 begins with a warm invitation to our community to join us in a year-long celebration of getting back to our joyful pursuits and engaging with art,” said Director and CEO Halona Norton-Westbrook. Through collaborations with local artists and community partners, the pop-ups will explore variations on the theme Joyful Return throughout 2021:
- Return (opens April 17): A multimedia presentation of community-sourced photos, imagery and storytelling.
- Restore (opens April 17): Sustainable, handmade messages of hope and community connection.
- Regrow (opens May 15): An unexpected, hands-on installation incorporating floral and botanical elements.
- Reveal (opens June 12): A large-scale mural project to be revealed with the help of the community.
- Recover (opens July 17): Wildly colorful additions to museum architecture created with community-sourced textiles.
- Relive (opens September 25): An interactive experience amplifying and celebrating the sounds and voices of HoMA.
In addition, Joyful Return includes a gallery presentation highlighting the museum’s permanent collection. Reflect: Modern and Contemporary Highlights features seminal pieces by iconic 20th century artists. It will also include “reflections” on individual artworks by eighteen diverse voices from our community, encouraging broader understandings of art, health, and community.
Stop by to enjoy the pop-up installations and unexpected fun, or stroll the courtyards and grab a bite to eat. HoMA is the perfect place to refresh, renew, and recharge for year ahead as we return to our lives, our joyful pursuits, and engaging with art.